Sunday, February 26, 2017

ISTE 4 Module- Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, and Decision Making

ISTE 4 Module- Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, and Decision Making


Triggering Event Question
What are ways in which students can use critical thinking skills to plan and conduct research, manage projects, solve problems, and make informed decisions using appropriate digital tools and resources?

My Trigger Event Question
 How can gaming break the ice for reluctant dancers? How can gaming help new dancers memorize choreography?

My Article

Reflection:
After reading the eduTopia article on coding and gaming, the biggest takeaway was in the last paragraph regarding the importance of making a connection to your content through gaming. The report is broken down into three sections based on how gaming should impact students These three ways are:
·         Connect to Content.
·         Connecting Individuals.
·         Connecting with the learner. 
The articles I came across in my search for answers to my questions left me a little unanswered. With that being said, I have had to alter my thinking and questioning to find an article to fit my needs. My question asked if playing dance games would improve dance memory? Nothing was found in regards to dance memory, but in general, a lot of positives were found on video games triggering or stimulating the brain and process that improved thinking. 
Quoted from News Max, "The researchers discovered that playing action video games had a significant positive impact on the subjects’ visual working memory. The key to these action-packed games’ ability to improve memory is related to their rapidly changing environment and complexity, says Psychology Today."


I have my theory based on working with my student, on how gaming has brought various kinds of students together, but I look forward to diving deeper to find more information on confidence building through gaming from an outside perspective.

Reflection II:
I write this last reflection on Module 4 with a feeling of incompletion. I was not able to find any other reliable articles to help me confirm my hypothesis on whether or not playing dance video games would help my student feel more confident and trigger a better choreographic memory. I realize that my subject of interest is still growing in the school of academia and maybe this is my sign to take on the scholarly work needed to give teachers of dance (PE) a sense of security that we can equally service our students by incorporating core standards and technology.

I

3 comments:

  1. Hey Erin!
    I appreciate your honestly about the feeling of incompletion! I definitely agree and have no definite ideas however I feel optimistic that it is possible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erin!
    I loved how honest your reflection was. Our subject of physical education (dance especially) is still growing in the world of tech in schools.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin,

    Our academic wheelhouse has sadly been pushed to the wayside in the 21st century even though we as a society experience ever increasing health related problems. I can tell you, the military regularly uses interactive "video games" to enhance training and there are a multitude of studies to support things such as increased hand eye coordination, brain function and analytical processing. It's not unreasonable to surmise a correlation in your hypothesis that dance video games would also increase choreographing and confidence.

    ReplyDelete